Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 22:05:40 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Toomas Aas <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Charles Burns <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Recommended SCSI harddrives

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 08:41:08PM +0200, Toomas Aas wrote:
> Hi Charles!
>
> During last 5 years or so, I've had a grand total of 3 SCSI drives
> die on me. Two of them were Western Digital, one was Quantum. I
> don't think I'll be buying any more Quantum SCSI drives soon.
> Especially after Quantum was purchased by Maxtor (one of my least
> favourite HD manufacturers).
>
> > I was looking at IBM as well, but I have lost trust in them after their
> > 75GXP drive, which is roughly as reliable as Windows 95. Are their SCSI
> > drives better?
>
> Sure their new IDE drives have horrible track record, but I've had
> only good experience with their SCSI drives. I have a total of 15
> IBM SCSI drives running in my servers right now and they all hum
> along just fine - the oldest are going their third year, the newest
> are from this year.
>
> I guess if I had to buy SCSI hard disk today, I'd still choose IBM.
> The production processes of IDE and SCSI disks should be distinct
> enough so that the SCSI drives don't get "infected" with the
> problems of current IDE drives. That's just my guess, though, so
> please take it for what it's worth.

I'll second Toomas' endorsement of IBM's SCSI drives -- we're running
several dozen of them in our servers and AFAIK none have failed yet
(they're mostly 1-2 years old).  This is just subjective opinion, but the
build quality does seems better than the IDE models.  The SCSI drives are
definitely heavier and just feel more solid.

	Scott