Date:      Mon, 05 Aug 1996 09:09:21 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lpt0:: "Device busy"

Gary Kline wrote:

>    After 8 or 9 months, I finally decided to take serious steps
>    in getting my DeskJet running under FBSD.
>
>    I checked the line connection and made sure that the printer is
>    plugged into LPT1 on my box; then check my i386/conf/TAO file.
>    And yup, everything looks kosher.   lpt0 is on irq7, etc.
>    I did the ``lptcontrol -i -u 0'' bit as mentioned in the docs.
>    Made sure that the printer was on and functional.  It is.
>
>    Then I did the
>
>    # lptest > /dev/lpt0
>
>    and get back the "Device busy" message.
>
>    Before I risk life and limb  or other injury triple checking hardware
>    connections, can anyone suggest possible snafus?  I just bought an
>    extention cable to hook up the printer.  It is likely that something
>    somewhere is loose? or in the problem more or less arcane?

Gary, Not to insult ya!
Is there paper in the printer??
Is the hood down on the printer??
Is lpt0 configed for Network use?? (It shouldn't be)

I just plugged my DJ540 into my FreeBSD box and typed the above
named test and it worked flawlessly!
If the hood is up on it, It reports that it's busy!

If I unplug the printer, It's busy, I'd suggest losing the extension
for now, Or testing it with a known working system.

This is the first printer attached to this 2.1r install!
I did nothing other then plug it in and try it!

-Enjoy
Gary
Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848