Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2000 15:13:23 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tom Duffey <tduffey@wi.rr.com>
To:        keith@mail.telestream.com
Cc:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>, "Frederick J Polsky v1.0" <fred@fredbox.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD guide for Linux admins

Sorry guys, but I must point out that a couple things mentioned here are
incorrect:

> > BSD doesn't have the 128MB swap partition limit.

Neither does Linux, since kernel 2.2 anyway.  From
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes :

  "Among other changes made in the development of Linux kernel 2.2, the
128 meg limit on IA32 swap partition sizes has been eliminated..."

> > Redhat will add a new group with each new users name by default.  BSD will
> > not.  No big deal, just be careful to check your user adds after your done
> > to see if they are what you expected.

I must admit that I have only been using FreeBSD since 4.0, but every
single installation I've done HAS added a new group for each user, an
integral part to my style of security.

Best Regards,

Tom Duffey