Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 08:08:21 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        fullermd@futuresouth.com (Matthew D. Fuller)
Cc:        toor@dyson.iquest.net, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Note on my experience with Netscape 4.6

> I use the FreeBSD version, and while Netscrape has never been a model of
> stability (under 2.2), now with 4.[56] under -CURRENT it routinely
> crashes out (sig10 usually) maybe every 3, 4 days, and I have a page or
> two around I can induce a crash at any time with.  Doesn't hurt my X
> server or anything, just...  well:
> May 25 17:05:54 mortis /kernel: pid 86922 (communicator-4.5), uid 100:
> exited on signal 10

[ ... ]

> That was when I was testing it repeatedly on one page; it really is 4.6
> even when it says 4.5, the binary was named wrong.  4.5 on -CURRENT DID
> seem to be ever so slightly less stable than 4.6, so I guess it's an
> improvement, but...

FWIW, John Dyson's threads are probably more stable than yours.  8-).

Also, NetScape has a general concurrency problem in its Java implementation;
you aren't by chance using the browser with Java enabled?

The gist of it comes down to an assumption about scheduling policy
for threads following a preemption by another process (not thead).

The assumption is valid for Solaris/NT/95, but invalid for FreeBSD,
Macintosh, and most other OS's.

Netscape also has a nasty problem in it's GIF decoder that prevents
it from running concurrent copies of the decoder simultaneously for
a Java (or JavaScript, actually) window.

Maybe someone to whom Netscape would listen could report this to them?
It would help out their Macintosh version as well, FWIW.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.