Date:      Mon, 2 Apr 2001 12:21:26 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Ilya Martynov <m_ilya@agava.com>
Cc:        Blaz Zupan <blaz@amis.net>, Justin Stanford <jus@security.za.net>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PR's foating in limbo for no apparent reason

On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 09:17:44PM +0300, Ilya Martynov wrote:

>     >> For no apparent reason every PR I send ends up in "pending" because of
>     >> supposed malformation, or whatever reason. I've gone through it
>     >> extensively with a member of the development team who is also
>     >> baffled. Enclosed is the raw pr that I saved before it was sent (which
>     >> subsequently, like all my others, went into pending) for your
>     >> examination. As far as we can see there is nothing wrong with this
>     >> submission. Ideas?
>
>     BZ> I have noticed the same and have asked a couple of times on
>     BZ> various mailing lists with absolutely no answer.
>
>     BZ> Until now I have been using "jed" as my editor. What I have
>     BZ> done is, now I use "vi" as my editor and another change I have
>     BZ> done is to remove all the comments (enclosed in "<" and ">")
>     BZ> from the PR. Now all my PR's go through just fine.
>
>     BZ> Dunno which of the two changes fixed my problems, but I did
>     BZ> sometimes notice strange problems with "vipw" when using "jed"
>     BZ> as my editor.
>
> BTW I also seen problems when using jed as editor. I could not edit
> crontab configs (crontab -e) when VISUAL=jed. I don't remeber details
> because it was some time ago and even not on FreeBSD.

I wonder if this could be related to difference in the way jed and vi
modify files; ISTR some discussion and somebody stating that jed created
a new file and then rename(2)'d it to the old one, while vi modified
the old file directly, or vice versa.  Maybe there are programs that
open a file, then fstat() it periodically to see if something has changed;
this will fail if the rename method is used - the old file shall seem
unchanged, albeit disappeared.

G'luck,
Peter

--
I had to translate this sentence into English because I could not read the original Sanskrit.