Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 2000 14:39:06 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Harry Woodward-Clarke <Harry.Woodward-Clarke@S1.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Australian Eastern DST 2000

On Thursday,  6 April 2000 at  4:56:03 +0000, Harry Woodward-Clarke wrote:
> Hi y'all,
>
> I have the dubious honour of living in New South Wales, Australia.

Congratulations!

> This year (2000) there is some sporting event happening in
> September/October, and as a result we'll be required to begin
> Daylight Savings Time earlier. "How much earlier?" I hear you ask. 2
> months!
>
> The official start for NSW (not Victoria or Tasmania) this year is
> "Sunday August 27, 2000" (source:
> <http://dir.gis.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/genobject/document/other/daylightsaving/tigGmZITWr0>;
> ).

No, that's not correct.  Victoria and Tasmania (even Tasmania!) have
decided to move at the same time.  To quote
/usr/src/share/zoneinfo/australasia:

# Victoria will following NSW.  See:
# <a href="http://abc.net.au/local/news/olympics/1999/07/item19990728112314_1.htm">;
# Vic to extend daylight saving
# </a> (1999-07-28).

# From Alex Livingston (1999-10-04):
# I heard on the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) radio news on the
# (long) weekend that Tasmania, which usually goes its own way in this regard,
# has decided to join with most of NSW, the ACT, and most of Victoria
# (Australia) and start daylight saving on the last Sunday in August in 2000
# instead of the first Sunday in October.

Elsewhere it shows that Broken Hill will be on SA time, and Lord Howe
Island will be on NSW time.

> I noticed that going onto DST and coming off just recently all
> happened automagically in FreeBSD. But, I am wondering if the
> zoneinfo file for Australian EST is set up to cope with the early
> start in NSW (and ACT) this year? I suspect not.

You guess wrong.  The time zone files have been updated.  At least in
all coming versions of FreeBSD, as well as in 3.4 and 4.x, the
transition will be on the correct date.

> If there is a method of modifying the zoneinfo files myself, then I'll
> be happy with that as a 'workaround' ;')

If you're running an older version of FreeBSD, just get the lastest
version of /usr/src/share/zoneinfo/australasia and do a 'make all
install' in /usr/src/share/zoneinfo.

Greg