Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 1996 10:27:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
To:        jeffrey_m._metcalf@ccmail.bms.com (Jeffrey M. Metcalf)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IDE CDROM drivers

 >     I am inquiring as to whether or not there have been improvements to
 >     IDE CDROM device drivers since the 2.1.0 release of FreeBSD.  I
 >     understand that at the time of the 2.1.0 release, the drivers were
 >     in their alpha testing phase.  I have a Matsushita-Panasonic CR581
 >     4x speed IDE CDROM at home and the drivers work beautifully with
 >     it.  It is connected as Master device through my secondary IDE
 >     interface.
 >
 >     My collegue has a SONY 2x speed IDE CDROM and the IDE installation
 >     program is not detecting his.  Are there any updated drivers at
 >     Walnut Creek that we should download and try?  If so, where would
 >     we find them and documentation on how to incorporate the new drivers
 >     into the kernel sources?  If not, is work ongoing?

     Yes, I can confirm that there have been some improvements.  On 2.1.0,
I had to hack the probing of wdc1 IDE drives out to get my Sony CDU55E
detected (like your config, my CD-ROM is the only device hanging off wdc1).
I'm now running 2.2-960612-SNAP and my CD-ROM was detected without
modification.  Kudos to whoever has been working on the WD & ATAPI code!

     Once detected, the drive works well -- no problems at all -- but the
IDE probe timeouts (done before the ATAPI is picked up) are very long.  The
only kernel tweak I've made for my CD-ROM is to comment out probing of the
IDE drives on wdc1 so my machine will boot 20-30 seconds faster.

     Anyone know if there's a kernel config option to change the IDE probe
timeouts or suppress probing for specific IDE disks?

Randall Hopper
rhh@ct.picker.com