Date:      Tue, 2 Jan 2001 12:46:58 +0000
From:      simond@irrelevant.org
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Mikko_Ty=F6l=E4j=E4rvi?= <mikko@dynas.se>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB Ethernet 10/100 D-Link "card"

On Mon, Jan 01, 2001 at 10:52:36AM -0800, Mikko Työläjärvi wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Jan 2001 simond@irrelevant.org wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Dec 31, 2000 at 06:21:09PM -0800, Mikko Tyolajarvi wrote:
> > > In local.freebsd.mobile you write:

> > > Sorry if the question seems stupid, but have you tried starting usbd
> > > and plugging it in?  If it isn't recognized, maybe it just needs an
> > > entry in /sys/dev/usb/usbdevs.
> >
> > I have tried just plugging it in but it just got recognised as ugen0, will
> > try playing around with usbd.conf once I get freebsd reinstalled on this
> > laptop, any tips on what may need changing? (I didn't even know about that
> > file until you mentioned it :)
>
> A "usbdevs -v" should show you the device IDs, and unless it is some
> really new chip, one of "aue", "kue" or "cue" will be able to handle
> it, given some hints in /etc/usb.conf, I suppose.  My Linksys USB100TX
> uses "aue".
>
> You may also want to have a look at <http://www.etla.net/~n_hibma/usb/usb.pl>.

OK, here's the output of usbdevs -v:
port 2 addr 2: power 286 mA, config 1, USB 10/100 Fast Ethernet(0x4002), USBs(0x07b8), rev 0x0101

Which confuses me slightly, the 0x07b8 seems to match
vendor ABOCOM           0x07b8  AboCom Systems, Inc.

while the 0x4002 seems to match
product DLINK DSB650TX          0x4002  10/100 ethernet adapter

When I tried adding this to the if_aue.c it was recognised and it gave the
following output:
aue0: USBs USB 10/100 Fast Ethernet, rev 1.10/1.01, addr 2
aue0: Ethernet address: 00:50:ba:74:db:9e
miibus0: <MII bus> on aue0
ukphy0: <Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface on miibus0
ukphy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto

which seems to imply that it's working apart from the fact that whenever
it's plugged in the Tx/Rx light keeps flashing and the link light doesn't
come on, even when there is a valid cable plugged into it. I just wish
I could find more info about which chip is built into it :/

--
Simon Dick					simond@irrelevant.org