Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 2010 12:02:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      doug@safeport.com
To:        Fbsd8 <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Xorg support for adding a graphics card

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010, Fbsd8 wrote:

> doug wrote:

>>> I was not aware of the possibility - thanks
>>
>> The PE300 has no documented jumpers on the mother board effecting the VGA.
>> Am I correct in my understanding that this is a FreeBSD issue that makes
>> Xorg a 'victim'?
>

> Check the motherboard bios setup to disable the on motherboard vga port.

Thanks. The [latest] BIOS has one VGA option:

    Video DAC Snoop Controls how VGA and graphics devices on the PCI or AGP
    bus respond to palette register accesses.

     * On  - forces VGA and graphics devices to snoop VGA palette register
             accesses and forward them to the ISA bus.
     * Off - (the default) forces VGA and graphics devices to respond
             positively to palette register accesses.

There is no hardware relief for the Dell PE300 that does not involve
modifying the mother, assuming that is possible.

I have [mostly] covered the fact that I have 1152x864 as the screen
resolution by making things smaller in KDE and setting fonts in xterm. This
system was made less useful by upgrading to FreeBSD 8. I am trying to find
out if support for multiple VGA cards is in the works and what needs to
change for that to happen.

_____
Douglas Denault
http://www.safeport.com