Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2001 13:46:14 -0800
From:      Erick Mechler <emechler@techometer.net>
To:        Jared Chenkin <chenkinj@voyager.bxscience.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sshd having problems...?

It sounds like you didn't install the necessary pam modules as outlined in
UPDATING.  Check that file and follow the instructions therein:

20010112:
        Important new FreeBSD-version stuff: PAM support has been worked
        in, partially from the "Unix" OpenSSH version.  This requires
        adding the following in pam.conf:

        sshd    auth    sufficient      pam_skey.so
        sshd    auth    required        pam_unix.so         try_first_pass
        sshd    session required        pam_permit.so

--Erick