Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 09:24:26 +1200 (NZST)
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
To:        Kenneth Legg <kenny@newwave.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new user

On Sun, 19 Apr 1998, Kenneth Legg wrote:

> This may be a stupid question but how do you get to the cdrom and floppy
> drive in Freebsd 2.2.5. I've looked in the manual and also the man pages
> with no luck.

To have a look at the CDROM, you have to `mount' it somewhere on the
filesystem. If you're using a IDE CDROM reader, the command should
look something like:

	mount_cd9660 /dev/wcd0 /mnt

To find out exactly which device name (ie the 1st argument) corresponds
to your CDROM reader, you'll have to inspect the output of `dmesg'.

The same applies to your floppy drive, except that you would use
something like:

	mount_msdos /dev/fd0.1440 /mnt

for floppies with MSDOS filesystems. Once you're finished with it
you'll have to `umount' it - don't pop it out of the drive.
Alternatively, there are dostools lying around out there which don't
require you to mount the floppy onto the filesystem.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>