Date:      Fri, 23 Dec 2011 17:31:39 +0200
From:      Aleksandr Rybalko <ray@freebsd.org>
To:        Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
Cc:        embedded@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: geom_uncompress

On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 13:05:09 +0100
Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de> wrote:

> Very cool!
>
> Am 23.12.2011 um 11:29 schrieb Aleksandr Rybalko:
>
> > http://my.ddteam.net/files/geom_uncompress_2011-12-23_2.patch
>
> In your original patch in February 2010, you supported only lzma.  In
> this version, your module supports both zlib and lzma compression.
> Wouldn't it make more sense to replace geom_uzip, and integrate
> mkuzip and mklzma into a single utility?
Agree, but this is for future.

> I also faintly remember some bike shed about the original geom_uzip
> name.
Yes, I also remember that, finally we decide to use short but
unambiguous name. geom_uncompress from that point. :)

> The magic header definition should likely be in a common file, shared
> between the utility(s) and the geom module(s).
As you mentioning first, better to have both in one utility. Even
better to include bzip2 in same utility.

> And a final nitpick: we really don't have a suitable crc32 function
> in the kernel already?
I don't have a plans to rewrite and embed lzma code to base. There is
the way to use external crc32 in xz-embedded, but it also take some
time. And crc code not so big even for embedded purposes. Anyway I agree
with you in that question too.

> Stefan
>
> --
> Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>   Fon +49 151 14070811

Thank you for comments/questions Stefan.

WBW
--
Aleksandr Rybalko <ray@freebsd.org>