Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:48:49 -0800
From:      "Sam Leffler" <sam@errno.com>
To:        <arch@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP:  DEVFS and GEOM mandatorification timeline.

> All the central developers I have talked to agree that this is the
> direction we are going.  Unless I am Terrybly mistaken, only the
> speed of adoption is up for discussion at this point, the direction
> is not.

You and I talked about this briefly so I'll just voice my opinion publicly.
I believe changes of this sort should wait until _after_ 5.1 is cut.  This
assumes that 5.1 is the "performance and stability" release that compels
people to move production machines to a 5.x code base.  If 5.1 is this kind
of release then I'd want developers to focus their energy on performance and
stability issues and not on changes of this sort.  My concern is that
yanking this code may expose problems that destabilize the system.  While
this certainly needs to be done I would like to see 5.1 come out quickly; so
anything that might cause a slip should be considered carefully.

It''s a hard call.  I'm conservative when it comes to release engineering.

    Sam