Date:      Fri, 18 Mar 2016 14:05:39 -0700
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        "K. Macy" <kmacy@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Stanislav Sedov <stas@freebsd.org>, Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd@gmail.com>, Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>, Ryan Stone <rysto32@gmail.com>, "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Peformance issues with r278325

On Friday, March 18, 2016 01:11:15 PM K. Macy wrote:

> > well).

> > guaranteed to be monotonic in that environment.
> > > >

> > > Another concern is SMP systems where the clock is not synchronized.  SMP
> > TSC requires
> > > a complicated setup procedure on the system boot which is not followed
> > properly by all
> > > vendors, and I have seen some recent systems with SMP TSC skew.
> > >
> > > I'm afraid that using TSC in this code will make FreeBSD unusable on
> > such (arguably buggy)
> > > systems.
> >
> > Eh, SMP does not matter here.  DELAY() already uses TSC on FreeBSD.  The
> > would be to do this:
> >
> >         deadline = rdtsc() + freq * delay / 1000000;
> >
> >         while (rdtsc() < deadline) {
> >                 if (APIC_DELSTAT_IDLE)
> >                         return (1);
> >                 ia32_pause();
> >         }
> >

> In a VM the thread is pinned to the _vcpu_. You have no control over what
> physical core the underlying thread is running on. If the vcpu is migrated
> to a different package there is a possibility of the next TSC reading be a
> lower value. The rdtsc instruction reads the value of the physical core.
> Although I doubt this is a problem in practice, it is a possibility if
> vcpus are not pinned for the lifetime of the VM.

Again, DELAY() already makes this assumption on FreeBSD/x86.  If this is
broken, it's broken in far, far many more places than this.  In addition, a
hypervisor is capable of handling this if it uses the TSC adjustment field
in the VMCS.  OTOH, TSC's on modern systems generally are in sync.  Invariant
TSCs are generated from a timer in the uncore on all the i[357] CPUs AFAIK, so
they are identical across cores and threads within a package.  They are also
in sync across packages on all of the i[357] systems I have worked with (and
generations prior to those) in the last 7-8 years (barring one machine I'm
aware of that was a quad-socket i7 box where the BIOS overwrote the TSC of
the first core in each package on each reboot to try to reset it to zero on
each boot).

--
John Baldwin