Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 2000 10:03:02 -0300 (GMT)
From:      Fernando Schapachnik <fpscha@ns1.via-net-works.net.ar>
To:        hart@iserver.com (Paul Hart)
Cc:        insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: icmp type 3 code 4: a couple of questions

En un mensaje anterior, Paul Hart escribió:
> On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, Ron 'The InSaNe One' Rosson wrote:
>     block in on fxp0
>     pass out quick on fxp0 proto tcp from any to any keep state
>     pass out quick on fxp0 proto udp from any to any keep state
>     pass out quick on fxp0 proto icmp from any to any keep state

You will also need (al least in 3.4-RELEASE):

pass in quick on fxp0 proto icmp from any to any icmp-type 11

to let traceroute work. This is because when a traceroute packet goes
to the destination an state entry is created which lets packet from
the destination come back. The problem is, intermediate machines
responde, and there's no state entry for them in the table (this was
gently pointed out to me a fews ago on this same list).

Good luck!

Fernando P. Schapachnik
Administración de la red
VIA NET.WORKS ARGENTINA S.A.