Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 10:40:42 -0600 (CST)
From:      Theodore Hope <freebsd@iguana.internexo.co.cr>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   converting sound card line-in to MP3 format w/LAME

I'm trying to convert the sound signal from a soundcard's "line in"
to an mp3 format file using Lame.

This is freebsd-4.3-Release and Lame 3.88b (from source, not ports),
pcm driver compiled into the kernel and "/dev/sndstat" reporting
the correct info about the soundcard.

I've connected an external CD player to the "line in" of
the sound card, and after pressing "play" tried the following:

lame -r -h /dev/dsp /tmp/file.mp3
  and also
lame -x -r -h /dev/dsp /tmp/file.mp3   (-x for byte-swapping)

In both cases, "file" says that the resulting mp3 file
is "MP3 128 Kbit 44.1 KHz Jstereo".

In both cases, when I take the resulting mp3 file and play it
on Winamp (on a windoze box) I get all kinds of ear-damaging
static.

I have the mixer settings to vol 80, pcm 80, line 80, and
"=rec line" to ensure that I'm reading from the "line in"
jack of the card.

I'm pretty sure that the sound card driver _is_ reading
something because when I do "od -c /dev/dsp" while the CD
player is playing, it shows continuously changing data.  When
I "pause" or "stop" the player, "od" shows continuous nulls
(or octal 200, can't remember; point is that it is reading
stuff).

Any help will be very much appreciated.  Thanks, -T.H.

p.s. Several kind folks responded to my broader question the other day
regarding icecast/liveice/lame, and I believe the problem is more
basic and has to do with not being able to convert the line-in
sound to mp3 in the first place.