Date:      Wed, 06 Sep 2006 13:33:00 +0300
From:      Toomas Aas <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        Aaron Bliss <aaron.bliss@gmail.com>,  questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: easy patch management tools

Aaron Bliss wrote:

> I was wondering if there are
> any
> packagement tools for freebsd/pcbsd that offer simular functionality to
> up2date or yum; I take care of installing and updating complete rpm based
> systems using yum, and have not found a tool simular to yum for freebds
> (I'm
> also trying to stay away from pbi's, since they are specific to pcbsd);
> I've
> used the pkg_add, pkg_delete, portupgrade tools, but am just looking for an
> easy way to ensure my entire bsd box is updated;

Having never used yum or up2date myself, I wonder - how does it differ
from using portupgrade? Is the only difference in that portupgrade
builds the software locally whereas yum and up2date install binaries, or
is there more to it? If binaries vs source is the only difference then
portupgrade does offer a way to update all installed ports.

> Also, as I understand it,
> bsd makes use of ports, by using tools such as cvsup, however I have never
> had much success compiling my own software, as such much prefer to use
> binary packages, which I understand that the freebsd authors provide;

Using ports is not the same as building/installing software yourself
from source. All the complications are handled by port maintainers and
we happy users only need to type 'make install'. So there's really no
need to be scared. The only downside of ports (as far as I can see) is
that building them takes more time than installing from binaries.

> for
> example, if I wanted to install pine, I would much rather install it by
> running pkg_add -r pine ; I'm just looking for a simple way to update
> currently installed binaries, simular to installing new binaries with
> pkg_add ; thanks very much for your help with this.

I still recommend using ports and portupgrade. Actually, I don't use
portupgrade myself, because I am a masochist. But from the comments on
this list it seems to be pretty good.

--
Toomas Aas