Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 2000 19:10:43 -0500
From:      Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/gnu/usr.bin/perl Makefile

In message <200008130550.XAA06630@harmony.village.org>, Warner Losh wrote:
} In message <20000812220942.B77195@dragon.nuxi.com> "David O'Brien" writes:
} : On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 01:51:28PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
} : > : With this change, however, you probably don't want to use BUILD_SUIDPER
} L
} : > : as the tweakable knob as we would still be building it.  Perhaps just
} : > : 'SUIDPERL' would be a better option name, but that is another bikeshed
} : > : that can be painted later.
} : >
} : > 'ENABLE_SUIDPERL' might be a better shade for that bikeshed.
} :
} : Why not put ``ENABLE_SUIDPERL="NO"'' in /etc/defautls/rc.conf.  Then in
} : /etc/rc, right after /usr is mounted, check the value of
} : `ENABLE_SUIDPERL' and either "u+s" or "u-s" it.
}
} I'm not sure I like having setuid automatically enabling or disabling
} at boot.

Not to mention that /usr might be mounted read-only at boot time.

--
   Jon Hamilton
   hamilton@pobox.com