Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 1999 13:54:30 +0200
From:      Alexander Maret <maret@axis.de>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Which etc-files do you need to boot?

Hi,

I played arround with vinum and mirrored to drives.

But without mirroring the root-partition you're not
very safe if one drive fails (especially the first
[boot] drive). So I tried to mirror at least etc to
keep the system up running. Without mirroring etc I
could switch off my first drive and the system went
on running but when I tried to logon it failed cause
the passwd files were no longer present.

The problem on mirroring etc is that you need to know
which files the systems needs before vinum gets started.
My configuration works fine meanwhile but I don't know if
I copied to much files or if I'm missing some important
files. Here is my list of files which are available before
vinum starts:

/etc/defaults/rc.conf
/etc/rc.conf
/etc/rc
/etc/fstab
/etc/gettytab
/etc/ttys

Do I need any other files or can I put some files
(like /etc/ttys) away?

Regards,
Alex