Date:      02 Oct 2002 20:41:50 -0700
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Dru <dlavigne6@cogeco.ca>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: OpenOffice User Installation

Dru <dlavigne6@cogeco.ca> writes:

> Looks like I'll wait until 4.7 is out of RC and then try again. Thanks for
> the help.

Maybe you had a reason for going the port route, but if not, you could
try the package route.  I've forgotten where I got the package; Italy
or somewhere, but probably via a link from www.openoffice.org.  I did
    $ PKG_TMPDIR=/u/tmp pkg_add -v openoffice-1.0.1_2.tbz2
    $ PKG_TMPDIR=/u/tmp pkg_add -v en-ooodict-US-1.0.tbz2
Google might find one of those file names if openoffice.org fails you.

It seems to work OK though I didn't even do it as root as I'm trying an
experiment: I gave most of the port/package directories to a non-root
user and he tries to do building and installing so errant scripts won't
wipe out more important things, like OS files and personal files.  It
looks like many scripts want to install things as root:wheel, but I'm
hoping that many of them can be fixed by doing:
    BINOWN=port_pkg_user BINGRP=port_pkg_group make install
I suspect that too many scripts will still break to make this practical,
but I really hate the idea of running app scripts as root and am going
to try to make this work.  I might wind up bugging a lot of people about
fixing their nasty scripts.