Date:      Tue, 1 Oct 1996 11:30:29 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: isdn code

On Mon, 30 Sep 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > >What is "unsupported" about it such that it makes you want to remove
> > >the code?
> >
> > Well, nobody seems to use it or support it.
>
> I thought many Germans were using it, since their country has a real
> communications infrastructure, unlike ours.

They have a unified ISDN policy like Japan does.  Communications
monopolies makes this easier I suppose.

Surprisingly, Germany's Internet infrastructure seems pretty weak.
International ISP's are more likely to access Europe via the UK or Sweden.
Anyway, that's a different story.

The Teles driver only supports HDLC and does not support PPP, though I
think they are working on PPP support.  I think most FreeBSD Teles Users
in Germany prefer HDLC because it has less overhead than PPP, so most of
the effort goes there.  This doesn't help for those who need to connect to
other vendors devices that are most likely use PPP.

Regards,

Mike Hancock