Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2007 10:10:33 -0400
From:      "David Robillard" <david.robillard@gmail.com>
To:        "Olivier Nicole" <on@cs.ait.ac.th>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Configuring OpenLDAP on FreeBSD 6.2 Release, Problems.

> Sorry, I am pretty new with LDAP too :) I have no documentation beside
> the one I found from Googling around.

Hi Olivier,

There are a few good books about LDAP out there, but most of them are
quite old unfortunately. Anyhow, I found that reading "LDAP System
Administration" by Gerald Carter from O'Reilly was a good help in
understanding LDAP, deploying OpenLDAP and configuring applications to
fetch data from the LDAP directory (i.e. sendmail, replace NIS, PAM,
FTP, Apache, DNS, etc). Get more info at
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/ldapsa/index.html

For a more in depth look into LDAP itself, get your hands on
"Understanding and Deploying LDAP Directory Services" by Timothy A.
Howes & al. from Addison-Wesley. Again, it's rather old, but will
still help your understanding of LDAP quite a lot. Check it out on
Amazon at http://www.amazon.ca/Understanding-Deploying-LDAP-Directory-Services/dp/0672323168/ref=wl_itt_dp/702-7398595-5616835?ie=UTF8&coliid=IDX1KGHZ13UXH&colid=CWBQ1L7F8P6P

Next is the "Oracle Internet Directory Administrator's Guide" document
which covers LDAP very well, just don't read the Oracle specific stuff
if you're not interested. You can reach this doc for free at
http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14099_11/idmanage.1012/b14082/toc.htm

Finally, for a more OpenLDAP centric book, look for "OpenLDAP by
Example: Practical Exercises in LDAP Directory Deployment" by John H.
Terpstra & Benjamin Coles from Prentice Hall PTR. Contrary to the
other books, this one is not yet published (as you can see from
http://www.amazon.ca/OpenLDAP-Example-Practical-Exercises-Deployment/dp/0131488732/ref=wl_itt_dp/702-7398595-5616835?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1YEUBXAR8YIE3&colid=CWBQ1L7F8P6P
;) Seems quite promising. We'll see

Good luck,

David