Date:      Sun, 05 Jan 97 10:55:16 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <francisco@natserv.com>
To:        "FreeBSd Chat list" <chat@freebsd.org>, "tphilips@cedar.netten.net" <tphilips@cedar.netten.net>
Subject:   Re: Couple of newbie questions

On Sun, 05 Jan 1997 08:57:51 -0600, Tracy E. Phillips wrote:

I am far from been a FreeBSD expert (I have not even been able to ge
ppp to work with my ISP Advantis), but until someone else answers I
could give you some initial pointers.

>I have use Linux for a while so i am quite used to bash. How can i make
>bash the system default?

vipw. Before you change the shell you need to install it. I think that
it is not installed by default so you have you to install it from the
packages.

>What are ide drives called under FreeBSD? My drives under Linux are:

It depends on whether the drive is IDE or SCSI. I think IDEs are WD#
where # is the drive number starting with 0.

>Can you alter the location that /stand/sysinstall looks for packages?
>Since i do not have FreeBSD on cdrom i therefore have my packages on
>another partition.

What do you mean by "I hve my packages on another partition"? What type
of partition? DOS? I am writing this note from OS/2 so can't check
right now, but I think you can go into options/media and tell the
install program where you are picking up the packages from. If you
could connect to the internet then you could download the packages from
one of the sites.

Good luck.

ps Did you tried posting to the FreeBSD questions mailing list? The
address of the list is doc@freebsd.org. You join it the same way you