Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 22:56:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        tom@mercia.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why does xemacs and netscape take five minuits to start?

Tom Brown wrote:
> Hi,
>
> last week I was trying to set-up stand alone DNS on my machine and
> something happened.
>
> The 'sendmail' daemon takes ages to start at boot up, and xemacs and
> netsacpe take five minuits to start in X.
>
> Any ideas would be welcomed.

This 5 minute business is a dead giveaway that DNS is hosed.
for other 5 minute funnies, do a netstat -r .

So... we need to look at your dns setup. I've just gone over this
with Mr Dan Langille; he said he would post some pointers at his
web site: http://www.dvl-software.com/freebsd. If Dan hasn't gotten
around to it, or it doesn't answer your problems, let me or the
list know.

The relevant files are
	/etc/hosts
	/etc/host.conf
	/etc/resolv.conf
	/etc/namedb/*

Switching the lines in /etc/host.conf to:

	hosts
	bind

(putting hosts to be searched first), may eliminate the stall
(depending on what's in /etc/hosts), but the DNS files are still
incomplete or flawed in someway.

Re netscape -- it may be doing a DNS search for its homepage, which
by default is at the mfg's site. Try setting the homepage to something
more useful like file://localhost/dev/null

Short dns zone file hint:  verify that there is a "." on the end
of fully specified names. It's easy to overlook.

Dave
--
Sancho Panza: `Microsoft Windows NT Server is the most secure network
	operating system available.'