Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 1999 20:38:56 +0000
From:      "Silas S. Brown" <ssb22@cam.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Newbie: How do I upgrade?

I have a CD-ROM distribution of FreeBSD 2.2.6 and I want to upgrade to
the latest stable version.  However, I can't find any 'dummy'
instructions that tell me how to do this.  There are various references
to installing the source and (horror of horrors) compiling your own
kernel (something which I probably don't have enough disk space for even
if I did have a clue), but I can't find anything that says "to upgrade
to the latest binaries, type this".

Am I supposed to re-install the whole thing?  Would installing as though
for the first time destroy my existing data and/or configuration?  Or am
I supposed to just download something (if so, from precisely what URL?)
and copy it into some directory?  If the latter, do I need to do
something to persuade /stand/sysinstall to read the latest package tree
rather than 2.2.6?  And can I keep in sync with a cron job?

I'm a C++ programmer so can understand technical stuff, but I have very
little Unix admin experience.

Thanks!

Regards

-- Silas S Brown, St John's College Cambridge UK http://ban.joh.cam.ac.uk/~ssb22/