Date:      Fri, 6 Dec 2002 03:00:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      Oleg Polyakov <opolyakov@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell Inspiron 5000 802.3 and 802.11b support

"Daniel Eischen" wrote:
>"M. Warner Losh" wrote:
>> : Any idea when freeBSD will support 32 bit cardbus?  I'd like to use one of
>> : the new Prism2 802.11b pcmcia cards.
>>
>> Oh?  I've not seen cardbus based wi cards.  Details?
>
>The D-Link 650 comes in a cardbus version.  See:
>
> http://www.dlink.com/products/wireless/dwl650/

I'm confused here - I already use this card on laptop with FreeBSD 4.7 and 4.6.
It's connected through TI PCI-1225 Cardbus controller which is both PCCard and
Cardbus. (Kernel reports PC Card 16 bit bus (classic) though).
So is DWL-650 PCCard or Cardbus? Or D-Link technical writers messed up?
ftp://ftp2.dlink.com/Wireless/DWL650/ProdSpec/dwl-650-datasheet.pdf
- there card looks different and is a "PCMCIA Type-II adapter."

Overall DWL-650 works fine.
There are two small inconveniences :
1. pccardd fails to load if_wi.ko after reboot ("driver allocation failed").
It loads it after card remove/insert.
2. I had to put wi0 in promiscuous mode to prevent high packet loss.