Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 1999 14:33:37 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brendan Conoboy <synk@swcp.com>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   rc.firewall, ipf integration

Hi everyone,

Back in freebsd 2.x, I used ipfw to build firewalls.  When I went to
freebsd 3.x, I started using ipf.  I wish everybody used ipf, but
very few people seem to have made the change.  Part of the reason
for this seems to be a lack of documentation, thus I embarked on
writing the ipf howto.  The howto is coming along nicely, but freebsd's
support for ipf doesn't seem to have come along much at all.

I'm refering specifically to the rc.conf and rc.firewall files.  Recent
and past posts alike have indicated that

1. People are hitting brick walls with ipfw:

   A recent discussion revolved around the problem of UDP and DNS.
   The problem was that the firewall had to be opened such that
   a remote DNS server is able to send packets to any UDP port by
   using a source address of 53.

   Using ipf as a filter can solve this by keeping UDP state.

2) rc.firewall is being taken seriously as an effective firewall:

   As a learning aid, rc.firewall isn't bad, but it's letting things
   in by default that it really shouldn't.  I know people want to be
   able to turn on a service and have it go, and that's why at present
   rc.firewall lets in port 25, 53, 80, 123, but should it really be
   doing that if those services aren't running?  Shouldn't ipf support
   be in rc.firewall too?

3) rc.firewall doesn't get its configuration from rc.conf:

   The beginning of each set of rules in rc.firewall requires
   the setup of what interface, network, netmask, and IP address,
   then goes on to assume what ports need to be blocked and passed.
   I know that a fine grain firewall requires all that information
   and it can't just be guessed at what interface to apply a rule
   to, but we could certainly change rc.firewall to only open port
   25/tcp when sendmail_enable is YES and sendmail_flags contains
   -q[0-9]+[mh] (probably wrong, but you get the idea).

The bottom line is, I'd like to see rc.firewall be more useful out
of the box to ipfw and ipf users alike.  Whether that means rc.firewall
includes complex logic based on rc.conf, or rc.conf gets a new line
like:

firewall_allowin="tcp/25/tun0,udp/53,tcp/53,tcp/80"

or both, it can definitely be better than it is.

So I'm sending this mail out to ask how people would like it improved.
I'm willing to do pretty much all of the work, particularly to get ipf
integrated.  What do people think needs to happen?

-Brendan (synk@swcp.com)