Date:      Fri, 16 Apr 1999 18:19:18 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Somewhat in my own defense...

| raw e-mail | index | archive | help
I've stayed out of these exchanges ever since I clearly saw that
public fighting wasn't going to buy us anything, but there have been a
number of points of view ascribed to me in this discussion stated as
if they were "fact" rather than someone's self-serving fiction, and I
just want to clear up any misconceptions people may have formed about
how I really feel here in the process.

First off, with respect to "passionate advocacy", I have absolutely no
objection to people being passionate about FreeBSD any more so than I
do about them being passionate about their wives or their professions.
This is a GOOD thing, obviously, and only someone who was dead could
possibly feel otherwise.  What I've objected to all along, and I think
quite a few of you know what I mean here, is raving advocacy with a
lot of shouting and flying spit.  That is to "passion" what a street
riot is to "a group of people expressing their views" and really, we
don't need it.  As David has already said several times, we've gone to
considerable lengths to ensure that FreeBSD is *not* associated in
people's minds with people throwing rocks and bottles and we aim to
keep it that way.  Our reputation is more important than that and I've
expended considerable personal effort in building bridges with the
Linux community which I wouldn't care to see dynamited in the name of
some short-term gain - it's just bad tactics.

Second, there have been a lot of misconceptions about my stance
concerning FreeBSD on the desktop or encouraging native ports to
FreeBSD, largely because when I'm quoted the quoters usually strip out
every bit of surrounding context and, as anyone familiar with the
media knows, even Mother Theresa could be made to sound like Hitler if
you were clever enough in selecting just certain parts of her public
pronouncements.  :-)

The following, which I posted to USENET a couple of days ago, sums
that up rather well so I'll just repost it here: