Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 1998 16:01:00 +0000
From:      stuart henderson <stuart@internationalschool.co.uk>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Boston Globe

Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:

> My local newspaper translated an article from The Boston Globe
> written by Hiawatha Bray, about Linux and the Netscape strategy. She
> (or he?) says that Linux would be an alternative if netscape
> distributed it, but notes that Linux is difficult to install. She
> also has that crazy idea that Linux has 5 million users !

Which reminds me (Computer Shopper suggested that Netscape should buy
Caldera buried away in some editorial :-) here are a few points of
the FreeBSD review in the same issue, I chose to pick out the more
negative points in the feeling that they're the ones that need most
work on, they mainly concentrated on installation and not any of the
things that matter whilst it's working, save a few comments near the end
like "In use, FreeBSD seems as stable as a commercial version of
Unix". etc.

(sysinstall) "I have to admit that this isn't 100 percent solid
software; for example, if you make a mistake, backtracking can be
difficult, if not impossible"......."Compared to a linux
installation, this stage is better and seems to have fewer
glitches and peculiarities" :-)  (also comments about the most
likely errors during installation being to do with lack of
disk space).

"Don't be shy about admitting to be a novice, because this really
should be labelled 'quick, easy, painless Unix installation even
for an expert'". (well, that won't fit on the screen, but for
anyone that hasn't had the misfortune to have had to use Windows
recently, it is very rare to use the Novice bit of any setup
program because at least that way, you usually get to find out
how many 100s of mb it will eat or what it will scribble over :-)

"It could do with a good printed manual" (or rather, it could do
with a good easily locatable UK source of them that doesn't
involve airmail :-)

(about X) "In one case I discovered that the set-up routine
wouldn't run - it appeared to completely lock the system. Later I
realised that it was just that the monitor couldn't cope with the
refresh rate."....."I never did make the set-up program work
except by swapping the monitor for another one").

"Not many users are going to be happy working with the TWM
environment" and "To swap windows managers is a matter of editing
a line in the configuration file, and there doesn't seem to be
an easy way of doing this".

"In use, FreeBSD seems as stable as a commercial version of
Unix. Subjectively, it seems more stable and has fewer rough
edges than Linux. If you can do without the back-up of a help
line and technical support, I see very little reason for not
using it seriously, and even" (for, I presume!) "mission-critical,
tasks. It makes a very capable internet server."

"It is Linux and SCO-compatible, and I certainly prefer it to
Linux, which is around the same sort of cost...It could do with a
good printed manual giving guidance on the bundled software and some
simplification of the post installation configuration" (I think
Xfree is a large part of this ;-) "but apart from this, you can't
really complain at so much really high-quality software for so
little cash."

The accompanying screenshots were a couple of /stand/sysinstall
disklabel etc. and one of X with a Mosaic hidden under a couple
of xterms. They obviously didn't see the screenshots they could have
borrowed from www.cdrom.com (mind you they aren't that easy to
find :-)

Stuart