Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2000 01:26:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        madscientist@thegrid.net (The Mad Scientist)
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: more complete ipfw rules

> I have this commented-out line in my ruleset.
> #$fwcmd add 550 deny log ip from 169.254.0.0/16 to any in via ${out_if}
> Don't quite remember what it's for.  I hope it's not another wasted class
> B.  Can anyone enlighten me?

It is another wasted class B, it is not in any global bgp4 view I can
find, and disallowed as either src or dst on many a border router.

I seem to recall some of either the Microsoft or Novell software uses
them on a local network to run strange protocols over IP that don't
need to be global routed, but can't find any reference notes to them
here.

> watchtower:/root# whois -a 169.254.0.0
> Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA)
>  (NETBLK-LINKLOCAL)
>    For use with Link Local Networks
>    Information Sciences Institute
>    University of Southern California
>    4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 330
>    Marina del Rey, CA 90292-6695
>
>    Netname: LINKLOCAL
>    Netblock: 169.254.0.0 - 169.254.255.255

You chopped off the important detail:
   Domain System inverse mapping provided by:

   BLACKHOLE.ISI.EDU            128.9.64.26

Generally IP that you find with this as the name server should
have just that done to them at bondaries between AS's, both
as a source and destination address!

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net