Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 2009 17:16:05 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Effing HAL

--On Thursday, October 29, 2009 16:55:58 -0500 Freminlins
<freminlins@gmail.com> wrote:

> I know this isn't specifically a FreeBSD problem, HAL being needed by X. But
> the flipping installer should enable it when I selected X flipping User from
> the install options.
>
> My little upgrade has now turned from a bit of fun into a saga that I don't
> want to go through again.
>
> I had to get this off my chest. It was, as they say, doing my head in.

Far be it from me to pile on when you're already so frustrated, but I run into
these sorts of problems myself from time to time.  It's usually because I
didn't bother to read /usr/ports/UPDATING first, which in this case might have
warned you.

20090123:
  AFFECTS: users of x11-servers/xorg-server
  AUTHOR: rnoland@FreeBSD.org

  If you are using an older xorg.conf several config lines are no longer
  needed and will generate warnings when X is started.  RgbPath will cause
  X to fail to start, remove it from your config.

  Server 1.5.3 also really wants to configure its input devices via hald.
  This is causing some issues with moused and /dev/sysmouse.  There are
  couple of options for how to deal with it:

  1. Add Option "AllowEmptyInput" "off" to your ServerLayout section.
     This will cause X to use the configured kbd, mouse, and vmmouse
     sections from your xorg.conf

  2. Don't use moused.  If you want it to work with addon USB mice
     set this in rc.conf:

        moused_enable="NO"
        moused_nondefault_enable="NO"

  I'm working on fixing hald or the mouse driver or both.

In this modern world where everyone wants things to "just work", xorg now does
not require any conf file at all, and can happily configure on the fly (in most
cases) without any input at all.

--
Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst