Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 17:29:56 +0100
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: makeworld documentation in handbook confuses users

Hi!

I totally agree with the suggestion that this part of the Handbook needs
more attention. So much so that I am looking at how I could come up with
something reasonable.

IMHO the Handbook should only document the "official" procedure as found on
-STABLE or the latest -RELEASE. So largely what you wrote stands, two nits:

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 11:11:17AM -0500, Robert Watson wrote:
> /*
>  * Build the new world, read the UPDATING notes first to see if there are
>  * any special actions of divergences from the normal procedure that must
>  * be taken to update.

I think that UPDATING should be read first. Not often, but sometimes even
building may require a kludge. More importantly, it should be emphasized
that you should update your sources *first* and read it only *after*. Yes,
there were questions around this:-)

> Change GENERIC below to reflect your kernel of
>  * choice.
>  */
>
> # cd /usr/src
> # more UPDATING					# make sure to read notes
> # make buildworld
> # make buildkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC		# customize for your kernel
>
> /*
>  * Install your kernel first, reboot so it is running and new syscalls are
>  * suported.
>  */
>
> # make installkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC		# customize for your kernel
> # shutdown -r NOW				# or pick your poison
>
> /*
>  * Now install the world (userland, that is), optionally merge your
>  * etc tree (experts only), and then go ahead and reboot to bring up the
>  * new version of userland.

I think that the /etc upgrade should take place in any case, since ignoring
it may lead to your system becoming disfunctional. With mergemaster(8), it
is easier.

--
Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM