Date:      Thu, 2 Apr 1998 02:01:41 +1200
From:      andrew@squiz.co.nz (Andrew McNaughton)
To:        freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG

I'm currently re-building a current affairs news web site to use a mysql
database.  The kinds of search issues discussed regarding the freebsd
mailing list archives are among the issues I'm facing, and if the project
goes ahead as discussed here, I'd be interested in taking part (though I
suspect I'm probably outclassed by other programmers here).

As I say, so far I'm using mysql.  It seems the discussion here has been
about postgreSQL with references to oracle.  Can someone give me or point
me to a comparison between postgreSQL and mysql.

Is the emphasis on postgreSQL due to licensing differences or functional ones?

A quick look over the postgresSQL suggests that it has several query
language features that mysql lacks (eg sub queries), and the docs place
more emphasis on extension.  It appears it does not do multithreading.

How do they compare on speed?  Postgres used to be slow, but I gather that
postgreSQL is better.

Andrew McNaughton

DISCLAIMER: The Entire Physical Universe, Including      Andrew McNaughton
This Message, May One Day Collapse Back into an            ++64 4 389 6891
Infinitesimally Small Space. Should Another Universe    andrew@squiz.co.nz
Subsequently Re-emerge, the Validity of Statements  http://www.squiz.co.nz
in This Message Cannot Be Guaranteed.            http://www.newsroom.co.nz