Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 08:30:29 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@smtp.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw question - hostname/address spec?

On 10/10/01 07:08 AM, Louis LeBlanc sat at the `puter and typed:
> [snip]
>
> I found the DNS culprit.  Looks like I need to try that firewall
> again.  Turns out I had borrowed a bogus dhclient-enter-hooks script
> that was hosing resolv.conf.  DNS seens to be solved for now.
>
> Thanks!
>
> I'll try that firewall again and let you know if it still hoses
> things.
>
> BTW, in Linux, it was fairly trivial to release a DHCP lease, renew
> it, reset the firewall and get masquerading back up (automatic the way
> Linux did masquerading thru the firewall) - all without a reboot.  Is
> there a relatively painless way to do this in FreeBSD?

As promised, I tried the script out, but no good.  It wasn't so much a
DNS problem as being unable to get to a DNS server.  Something in the
script is blocking something it shouldn't or failing to allow something
it should.

I also tried the script presented at
http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/ipfw.html
with my modifications to read the nameservers of course, but it has
the same behaviour.

The only thing I can get to work is a slightly modified version of the
default script using the simple firewall type.  Still no nat, though.
And the darn thing won't allow me to ping out.  I'll have to hack that
in if I'm gonna continue to test with it.

I still can't figure out the exact point of the problem.   I have read
the FreeBSD handbook dhcp, nat, and firewall sections, and have lurked
on the list looking for gotchas, but nothing comes to mind.  I'll read
some more, and study this firewall that at least lets me out, but my
wife's gonna get impatient for her email :).  The script I posted  was
adapted from one generated at
http://www.linux-firewall-tools.com/linux/firewall/index.html
I know, it's a linux site.  But the firewall is generated for ipfw.
Maybe I should find another tool for generating strong firewalls.

Christ, if you find the problem with that script, I'd certainly
appreciate the pointers.  I'll certainly study it myself, since I
don't just want everything done for me.  If I should get it working,
I'll post my findings.

Thanks again

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc       leblanc@acadia.ne.mediaone.net
http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net                 ԿԬ

I don't deserve this award, but I have arthritis and I don't deserve that
either.
    -- Jack Benny