Date:      Thu, 3 Jan 2002 02:27:35 +0100
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: apropos Euro

On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 07:39:48PM +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Finally, many programs should respect the locale settings
> of your environment.  The environment variable LC_CTYPE
> is responsible for declaring your character set to
> programs and applications that are l10n/i18n compliant.
> You can see all locales in the /usr/share/locale
> directory.  For example, put the following in your
> shell's startup script if you use some kind of bourne
> shell (sh, ksh, zsh, bash):
>
>    export LC_CTYPE=en_US.DIS_8859-15
>
> For csh or tcsh, use this one:
>
>    setenv LC_CTYPE en_US.DIS_8859-15
>
> Note that the locale name was changed recently from DIS to
> ISO.  Look at the /usr/share/locale directory for the
> right name.

The change from DIS to ISO only happened in -CURRENT. Moreover, the '_'
character was stripped from the "ISO_8859" string . These changes in the
locale names have not been MFC'd yet; as a consequence, the alias
definition

  es_ES.DIS_8859-15:	es_ES.ISO8859-15

must be added to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/locale.alias in order to get
X11 working with the ISO8859-15 locale. Unfortunately, 4.5-RELEASE will be
released with the old-fashioned locale names. I have just sent the patch
for locale.alias to the x11/XFree86-4 port maintainer.

Just my 0,02¤
            ^--------- euro symbol ;-)

  Cheers,
  JMA
--
****** Jose M. Alcaide  //  jose@we.lc.ehu.es  //  jmas@FreeBSD.org ******
** "Beware of Programmers who carry screwdrivers" --  Leonard Brandwein **