Date:      Thu, 25 May 2000 12:35:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
To:        dewaz <dewaz@ran.es>
Cc:        osi@opensource.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what about clauses?

dewaz writes:
 > Hi again!
 > What I don't understand about changing BSD to propietary is how is that
 > possible,I mean that if Peter gets the BSD licensed program from Tom
 > ,and modifies and distributes it, Peter should do it according to the
 > license that Tom joined the program(BSD)
 > That license says that Peter can distribute a modified version if he
 > includes in that distribution the copyright notice,those two clauses and
 > the disclaimer.Right?

Yup.

 > Thus the new Peter's program gets the second clause which  says that you
 > can distribute the program with some conditions.Right?
 > So,Why not Tom could distributes his modified program?
 > Thanks again for your knowledge and patience.

Good question.  Anybody else know the answer?  License reproduced
below.  I speculate that it keys off the distinction between "retain"
and "reproduce".
-russ

Copyright 1994-1999 FreeBSD, Inc. All rights reserved.

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
met:

    1.Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
      notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
    2.Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above
      copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following
      disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided
      with the distribution.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE FREEBSD PROJECT ``AS IS'' AND ANY
EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE REGENTS OR CONTRIBUTORS
BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR
CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF
SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR
BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY,
WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE
OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN
IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | "Ask not what your country
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | can force other people to
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   | do for you..."  -Perry M.