Date:      Thu, 12 Mar 1998 18:18:48 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions freebsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NIS, no luck :-(

On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Doug White wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, John Kenagy wrote:
>
> > Ok, I'm lost.
> >
> > I've been through the man pages, dogeared the Hal Stern book,
> > and only spent two evenings getting my network to run again while
> > trying to set up NIS. Between one server and one client, no less!
>
> DId you find *all* the man pages, esp. yp(8) and ypserv(8)?

If its possible, the characters are faded from over use.;-)
I feel that I'm missing something crashingly obvious, but what?

> > Since I cannot log on to any users in the map I think the append never
> > happens. What, exactly is the syntax of the "+" key usage in this
> > implementation.
>
> +::::::::, I think.  Count my colons, it should correspond to the number
> of fields in /etc/passwd.

In the book by Stern (O'Reilly), the fields are sometimes filled with
zero or, an asterisk, as in +:*::0:0:::: etc. for expanding group
and user IDs. This is also used to replace some of the fields in the
global map with local values. The asterisk is for password protection.
Are these syntactic conventions for the Sun platform or general to
FreeBSD also?

Such an entry resulted in failures during login. User name went in ok,
but the password was never prompted for. I had to reboot in single
user to clear the system.

Oh, well, I do this for the challenge, right? ...right? ...?

Thanks again, John