Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 2001 10:21:34 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Kathy Quinlan <katinka@magestower.com>, Robert Swindells <rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk>, Devin Butterfield <dbutter@wireless.net>
Cc:        "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>, freebsd-small@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: StrongARM support? (was also: Group for porting to other proccessor families)

On Monday,  8 January 2001 at  0:22:01 +0800, Kathy Quinlan wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Is their a group of FreeBSD Enthusiasts that are working on porting
> free to embedded controllers that are not x86 I am in the process of
> developing a security / access / building management system, and am
> looking at using free on all my outlying units. I am not interested
> in using pc104 etc but using processors like the atmel thumb
> processor, this is a risc based uC capable of handling 64Mb of flash
> ram for program and working ram. why do I want an OS for an
> industrial app, simple some units may be standalone and need
> dialling into, building units will probably be TCP/IP.

If I understand correctly, this is an ARM architecture.  Almost the
same time you wrote that, this message was sent to -hackers:

On Sunday,  7 January 2001 at  6:20:26 -0800, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> [missing attribution to Michael C. Wu]
>> I'm definitely interested in both StrongARM and PPC.  (and so are very
>> many people)  My understanding is that FreeBSD *wants* a FreeBSD/ARM,
>> but lack the resources/man-power to do so.  I'd prefer to see an
>> official decision on the above by someone (hint hint -core :)) though.
>
> I don't think any "official decision" would say anything we in core
> haven't already said individually and many times over the years.
> Sure, FreeBSD wants ARM and PPC ports but currently lacks, at least to
> our knowledge, the man-power to lead and support such a project.  You
> said it yourself.  If some motivated individuals out there would
> like to change that situation, you have our full support!

Porting to ARM isn't going to be trivial, but the obvious first step
is to get interested people together.  Note that we've had a SPARC
porting effort languishing out there for years now.  If ARM is to do
better, it will need significant support.

Jordan's response above was made without his -core hat on.  If people
want a response from -core (which I suspect will probably be very
similar), they should send mail to -core asking for it.

Greg