Date:      Fri, 6 Mar 1998 02:12:29 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Donn Miller <dmm125@bellatlantic.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   mounting extended partions

About mounting msdos partions:  can you mount dos extended partitions?
I'm using freebsd-current.  I tried to mount them, and I get:

mount_msdos: /dev/wd1s1: Invalid argument.  Here is the output from
fdisk /dev/wd1:

******* Working on device /dev/wd1 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=785 heads=128 sectors/track=63 (8064 blks/cyl)

parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=785 heads=128 sectors/track=63 (8064 blks/cyl)

Media sector size is 512
Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 1 is:
sysid 5,(Extended DOS)
    start 8064, size 6314112 (3083 Meg), flag 0
	beg: cyl 1/ sector 1/ head 0;
	end: cyl 783/ sector 63/ head 127
The data for partition 2 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 3 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 4 is:
<UNUSED>

In actuality, disk wd1 has two extended partitions; one d: (2 meg) and e:
(1 meg) but as you can see above fdisk is showing just one 3 meg extended
dos partition.  It's also showing partitions 3 & 4, which is confusing
since they don't exist.

	Donn