Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 08:24:42 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        fullermd@futuresouth.com (Matthew D. Fuller)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, toor@dyson.iquest.net, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Note on my experience with Netscape 4.6

> > Also, NetScape has a general concurrency problem in its Java implementation;
> > you aren't by chance using the browser with Java enabled?
>
> My good reproducible *blat* here is on access-restricted pages.  First
> page, pops up the box, enter uname/passwd, fine.  Link to a second page
> under that directory, it pops up *3* boxes asking uname/passwd.  Do
> whatever with the first, whatever with the second, soon's I hit OK or
> CANCEL on the second, sig10 and *plop*.  Tried all combinations of entering
> info, cancelling, and dancing naked in front of it (after hours, of
> course).

What underlying technology do you think they used to implement the
login window popup, I wonder?  (Not!).

You don't think it runs as a seperate thread, so that it's modal
relative only to controlled entry "Authentication: XXXYYYZZ" URL's,
do you?

Moral: Answer the boxes in reverse order, do not delete the windows
from whence the boxes derived, and get thee a window manager that
stacks windows in creation order (you can get the same thing by
opening an unresolvable URL and closing the window from which the
"OK" dialog derives on Windows, only they pop up a debug dialog
and complain about illegal operations).

Then think about the evils of pthread_join...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.