Date:      04 Sep 2002 11:14:09 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
To:        tom worster <fsb@thefsb.org>
Cc:        Untitled <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: upgrading pkgtools

> >> how-to upgrade pkgtools?
> >
> > Several possible methods:
> > 1) Use the package from 4.6.
> > 2) Use the port instead of a package.
> > 3) Download the new package, uncompress it with bzip2, and
> >    re-compress it with gzip.
>
> thanks. however, i would think of these more as workarounds (from which 1
> and 2 i have been using) than as upgrades to pkgtools.

True.  The original question had seemed to imply that upgrading the
whole system was out of the question.

> the convenience of using pkg_add -r seems like it might be worth doing the
> upgrade. i read on the ports list that updated pkgtools have been uploaded
> somewhere (stable, current?). so what i'm really looking for is a brief
> description of what i need to do to make these new pkgtools work on a 4.6.2
> system.

I don't understand what this is supposed to mean.  You could try to
rebuild the pkg_add command without the rest of the system, but I'm
not sure I'd recommend that in your case.

> i'm guessing that installing a source tree from the cd (i don't usually need
> one), updating it with cvsup (i never bothered to set it up before), and
> make world (never done that before), might do it. but i'm hoping there is a
> simpler alternative. ?

If you wait about four weeks, you should be able to do a binary
upgrade to 4.7, and that will "fix" things too...