Date:      Thu, 17 May 2007 12:33:01 -0400
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Chris <chrcoluk@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fast rate of major FreeBSD releases to STABLE

On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 04:30:50PM +0100, Chris wrote:

> The recent ports freeze has also concerned me, this is the longest
> ports freeze I have witnessed since I started using FreeBSD years ago
> and its for a desktop element of the os, does it matter if servers
> running FreeBSD have to remain on vulnerable versions of ports as a
> result of this?

I'll leave the src release discussion for others, and just remark that
this claim is entirely false: every release cycle has had a longer
ports freeze than this one, with the same consequences.  We don't take
freezes lightly, and the alternative is to import a bunch of
incompletely tested changes that will cause untold chaos for our
users.  I'm sure you wouldn't advocate that.

Kris (for portmgr)