Date:      Wed, 09 Dec 1998 21:44:22 -0800
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Please Add a Veterans Ring of Honor Link"

That first paragraph piqued my interest. So I investigated (I followed the
link they gave). The important part of that bill (S.771):

-----
(2) PLACEMENT-
 (A) ADVERTISEMENT- The information specified in subparagraph (A) of
     paragraph(3) shall appear as the first word of the subject line of
     the electronic mail message without any prior text or symbol.
 (B) OTHER INFORMATION- The information specified in subparagraph (B) of
     that paragraph shall appear prominently in the body of the message.
(3) COVERED INFORMATION- The following information shall appear in an
    electronic mail message under paragraph (1):
 (A) The term `advertisement'.
-----

So they mention this bill and make it look legit, but they're not actually
in compliance because they don't start the subject with "advertisement".

I'm also curious about this bit of spam... It gives all this info despite
being spam. Isn't it a bit strange? I was getting the idea that maybe this
"vetring" group was being set up by someone. Perhaps the -questions or
freebsd.org admin should check up on this one.

At 09:21 PM 12/9/98 , Vietnam Veteran"@vetring.com wrote:

>This message is sent in compliance of the new e-mail
>Legislation: `Unsolicited Commercial Electronic Mail
>Choice Act of 1997' (Introduced in the Senate)
>http://www.epic.org/privacy/bill_track.html
>
>Sender : Veterans Ring of Honor,
>P.O. Box 87171, San Diego, CA 92138
>Phone  : 1-800-Vet-Ring
>E-mail : vetring@vetring.com
>
>Although this is a one time request and you will not be
>contacted again by VROH, the following statement must
>be included: To be removed from our mailing list,
>simply reply with "REMOVE" in the subject section.
>
>Please consider adding the Veterans Ring of Honor Web
>Site to your Links Section:  http://www.vetring.com
>
>The Veterans Ring of Honor is a "one of a kind"
blah blah blah...

--Ludwig Pummer ( ludwigp@bigfoot.com )
ICQ UIN: 692441 (  ludwigp@email.com  )