Date:      Thu, 7 Jan 1999 17:40:43 -0800
From:      "Dave Walton" <walton@nordicdms.com>
To:        Forrest Aldrich <forrie@forrie.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Clarion RAID subsystems on FreeBSD ?

On 7 Jan 99, at 14:20, Forrest Aldrich wrote:

> Where I work, we just met with a vendor that resells Clarion
> RAID arrays, also some tape libs.

That would be "CLARiiON", I think?

> When we mentioned that
> most of our servers are FreeBSD-based, we got the ol' sales
> chat about free systems and support issues, blah blah.

Don't you love that?  On the other hand, it does come in handy
sometimes.  Just today I got a call from some marketing droid
trying to push his product.  I asked what platforms it ran on.
"WinNT and Solaris".  He asked what we were running.
"FreeBSD".  He ended that call real fast!

> Firstly, we would need specialized drivers.   I wondered if anyone
> out in the FreeBSD world might have some experience in using
> these arrays with a FreeBSD system.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.  I just took a look at
http://www.clariion.com and it appears that their products are SCSI-
SCSI RAID, which means they shouldn't require any special OS
support.  In fact, they even say "Vendor-independent architecture
accommodates a wide variety of hosts" and "Host Interface: 16-bit
SCSI-2 @ 20 MB/s".

If they insist that it requires specialized drivers, you might want to
look into a system using CMD RAID controllers.  Their controllers
truly are OS-independent.

(Disclaimer:  I've never actually used a CMD controller.  However, I
have discussed the (lack of) OS requirements with their
technicians, and I plan to buy two of their controllers for use with
FreeBSD once I get the budget approved.)

Dave