Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 00:42:48 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Jerry Alexandratos <darkstar@udel.edu>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CompactFlash Question

In message <19991217021254.A24433@hellboy> Jerry Alexandratos writes:
: I've got a quick question for the people out there using CompactFlash
: cards.  What is the filesystem on these beasts.

Any one you like.  The ones that WinCE uses is just a FAT.

: I'm looking at one of the TRGPro PalmOS devices <http://www.trgpro.com>;
: and noticed that it supports what they call FFS (FAT File System).

This is generally used for the older, more fragile PCMCIA Flash
cards.  I have a few of these old beasts knocking around from a raid
on some old X terminals.

: Is this just a fancy name for the MSDOSFS?

No.  It is like dos's FAT running head long into a log file
system.

: If so, have people out there had any luck with MSDOSFS formatted CF
: cards, or do you all newfs them with (real) FFS?

I've created, with the old wd driver patched, many CF cards for
hacking on NetBSD/hpcmips.  I added the kernel to the DOS partition
and the userland files to the UFS partition I put on it. It was just a
removable IDE disk man...

Warner