Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2001 00:18:34 +0100
From:      =?Windows-1252?Q?Rickard_Borgm=E4ster?= <doktorn@sub.nu>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Current vs Stable for specific driver support?

Hi!

I'm new to *BSD in common and have just gotten my machine up'n'running.

I read the FreeBSD handbook and saw that the Soundblaster Live! card
should be (experimental) supported. Since I have such a card and want
to use it I suppose I need to go to a CURRENT kernel, right?

I installed from the 4.2-stable ISO and have the complete source in
/usr/src. Then I used cvsup to retreive the current one. But while
looking around in the files I found /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/NEWCARD

Then one line that confused me was:
# CURRENT STATUS OF CODE: NOT WORKING.  Use PCCARD instead.

Does this mean that I am unable to compile a working kernel out of
the source codes I have? And thereby meaning that I cannot use my
sound card?

Thanks for any help.

--

Rickard