Date:      Thu, 06 Feb 2003 14:04:57 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@attbi.com>
Cc:        Andy Farkas <andyf@speednet.com.au>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, Murat Bicer <murat+freebsd@bicer.org>
Subject:   Re: sysinstall->Configure->Fdisk

> Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 16:50:51 -0500
> From: Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@attbi.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 05:16:22PM +1000, Andy Farkas wrote:
> >
> > sysinstall's 'FDISK Partition Editor' won't let me create a second slice.
> >
> > After pressing 'w' it says: "ERROR: Unable to write data to disk ad4!" then
> > "Disk partition write returned an error status!"
> >
> > Freshly cvsup'd a few hours ago.
> >
> > # sysctl -a | grep kern.version
> > kern.version: FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #2: Tue Feb  4 11:04:44 EST 2003
>

> This is a known problem due to GEOM.  It doesn't matter if you are root,
> or if your securelevel is set properly.  It just won't work.
>
> See the thread:
> http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=295042+0+archive/2002/freebsd-current/20021229.freebsd-current
>
> Try to boot from another disk or a floppy, then you will be able to
> create a new partition with sysinstall.

This is what the second ISO image is for. It contains the holographic
shell and is sometimes called the "fixit" disk. Boot it select
Fixit. Then follow the instructions. Or, if you just want to
partition, use the "Configure" option and select Fdisk. (For this, you
don't even need the Fixit disk. The main OS disk can do this.)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)