Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 2000 14:07:52 +0100
From:      "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Legacy ethernet cards in FreeBSD

> Ok, "seem to have lost support" is about the vaguest thing you could
> have said. I've killed people for less.

I'm too young to die. Sorry for the lack of detail. I should have known
better.

> Please explain in detail how
> you arrived at the conclusion that the card was no longer supported.
> Show us the dmesg output from your machine. Explain what you tried to
> do and what results you observed. Don't just say "it doesn't work."
> You've not going to help anyone that way.

4.0 detects my card, prints the ethernet address during the probe, and
actually transmits data when asked to do so. DHCP configures the card, etc.

4.2 detects the card, but does *not* find its ethernet address and the DHCP
probe simply never returns, although the machine responds to keypresses to
break the installation.

> Did you check to see if a pcn0 device was detected? Did you attempt
> to use it?

No.

> If not, why not?

I did not know it was there.

> >   SMC EtherEZ       ISA
>
> Should also work with the ed driver, though you may have to turn off
> plug and play mode using the SMC EZSetup utility.

I will try this.

> >   RealTek "TP-Link" PCI
>
> If this is a 10mbps card, it should be an NE2000 clone, and will work
> with the ed driver. If it's a 100Mbps card, it should work with the
> rl driver.

Like I said: it probes, works for a bit, then drops the line and needs a
power-cycle. I have two, one of them is available for an individual who
wants to hack at it, the other one will serve as a cupholder after I've
stomped on it for a bit, otherwise the cups keep falling over.

> > I'll be happy to try out patches for the lnc driver to fix
> the problem of
> > the Deskpro, or to give remote access to it if you want to
> work on it.
>
> I'd be happier if you told me whether the pcn driver works or not.

Will try. Please hold ...

    Kees Jan