Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 1996 15:26:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Barry Masterson <jbarrm@panix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Basic 1542cf question

This is a basic Adaptec 1542cf configuration question. The system
hangs at boot time, so I haven't gotten to the FreeBSD part yet.

I have a 486DX2/66 VLB system running FreeBSD 2.1.0. It has a
Promise 2300+ (with on board bios disabled) connected to a
single Quantum Fireball 1gig IDE drive.

I'm trying to install a Adaptec 1542cf scsi card in one of the
available five 16 bit slots. The only scsi device I have is a
Archive Python external drive.

The main problem here is, when booting, the system just hangs,
(I'm booting with the python connected & powered up):

 *   Post executes, 'American Megatrends', 'Hit DEL to enter setup'...
 *   Red LED on 1542 flashes about 30 times (1 minute), LED light goes
     out (probing finishes?)
 *   Floppy light goes out
 *   Hard drive makes a brief noise
 *   System hangs at the same 'American Megatrends' screen.

I'm unable to enter the cmos setup (hitting DEL won't work), nor
can I enter the 'SCSIselect' program (never prompted for it).

With switch 1 on the 1542 (sw1 - termination installed) facing towards
the card, and sw2-8 away from the card, the system still hangs, but
the screen is readable.
With the default factory setting; all switches away from the card,
the screen quickly goes fuzzy (like watching television with the
vacuum cleaner running), and the system still hangs.

So, here are my questions:

1) There is a block of 8 switches on the upper left hand corner
of the 1542. All of the switches are set to the side which is
AWAY from the card. Is this the ON(closed) or OFF(open) position?

2) Since I'm only using one device, can I switch off those other
switches? Or still better, how should these switches be set?

My floppy drive is connected to the promise 2300+. According to
the sheet that came with the 1542, the floppy switch on the 1542
should be disabled in this case.
So, I've booted with the floppy switch; sw5, in both positions.
No luck,  system hangs.

The card is out now, or I wouldn't be able to write this letter.
I'm new to scsi devices, so any advice will be appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Barry Masterson
jbarrm@panix.com
  FreeBSD   2.1.0-R