Date:      Wed, 21 May 2003 14:23:52 -0500
From:      Chris Pressey <cpressey@catseye.mb.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: About my problem

On Wed, 21 May 2003 10:31:51 +0100
Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:

> If you know in advance that you're going to be moving the drive to a
> different device, then you'll save yourself a lot of trouble simply by
> editing the /etc/fstab to match the new location *before* you shutdown
> the system and move the drive from the original.  Shutting down the
> system with a non-matching fstab is a lot easier than booting it up.

Very much agreed.  I'll make certain to find out where I'm going to be
putting the drive in ahead of time, next time.

> [...]
> Unfortunately I'm not in a position to investigate further so I can't
> provide any better advice right now.  However, I think that if you
> care to experiment the next step would be simply to 'boot -s' from the
> loader without trying to reset any of the loader variables.

D'oh!  Of all the permutations I tried, that might be the one I
overlooked.  I'll keep it in mind, but I'll definately count more on
foresight in the future.

Thanks for your help.

-Chris